Friday, September 19, 2008

We love our worms....

We started our compost pile a few weeks ago and I can't begin to tell you how much the girls love it. You can see from the picture below that even after adding to it daily with all fruits, vegetables, breads, rice, pasta, and egg shells it still isn't very full. It does seem to be turning much quicker than I thought. It really is a cool process to watch plus it makes me feel good for helping the environment and teaching the girls what they can do. I think Shawn will be very happy when he doesn't have to go buy fertilizer :)




Although many would be grossed out by this I am excited. I was told the earth worms would find their way to our pile but I had no idea that we would have thousands. I thought maybe a hundred but not this! We actually saw a piece of apple moving and when you turn the pile the whole entire pile moves. I add very little cedar woodchips so there is no smell at all. This is a bad picture but even in this picture I still can see about 12 of them!




No comments: