Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Presidential Election

So Lauren and I discovered today that she will get to vote in the 2020 presidential election :) I took both girls with me to vote. As much as I wanted to do a mail in ballot I want the kids to be in the habit of going plus it always lends itself to conversations about elections. We talked about how women didn't always get to vote and how it is a priviledge for all of us and that everyone needs to vote.

I really hope that in within the next presidential election we as a country can figure out how to truly make everyones vote count. As I sit here tonight listening to Obama's victory speech and see that Nevada, Montana and a few other states haven't even decided who they are voting for that it doesn't matter because there votes aren't enough to change anything. I really hope we can get away from electorial votes and get to individual votes, especially since we have the technology for it.

I am also relieved that it is over, the topics at school are getting a little tough for me and as a parent I am getting angry that other parents are telling their children inappropriate things. Lauren actually came home and told me one of the girls at school told her that her mom said Obama kills babies. I can't believe someone would say that to their child. I understand opinions, I understand beliefs but Lauren actually thought the man becoming president was going to kill babies. I feel that age 7 is a little young to be explaining abortion and being pro-choice let alone how someone gets pregnant that doesn't want to be.

Well, I guess that is our freedom of speech! Now I know why the school is having the kids vote between characters in a book.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I know what you mean, Avery came home with some stories from school too. It's interesting to see the strong opinions these little parrots exposed to.